Thursday, June 20, 2013

My SAL Finish (YAY!), Tutorial ASAP!!!


Just a flying visit to share some exciting news: I finished my bookmark!!! I know the SAL's extended, but I really wanted to make the original deadline, and I managed to meet it just in the nick of time, LOL! The other good news is that I'm currently in the midst of writing up a comprehensive tutorial that I'll post up as soon as possible!!!

I tried something new to me, and I made a padded insert for the bookmark using two layers of quilt batting sewn together. This is a trick I stumbled upon while making ornaments this past Christmas, and while it is a little thick I'm pleased with it :)


The tutorial will include the padding, but you can easily skip it and make an ordinary flat bookmark, like the ones I made for my Grandparents. Truthfully, there's very little to it: sew the sides together, turn it out, and sew up the top! Three easy steps. But I know from painful experience that *so much* can go wrong, so I'm just writing down what I always wanted to know, more or less. I hope it will be helpful!

Confession: I was holding my breath the entire time I was doing the finishing, just *waiting* for something to go wrong. And things inevitably did, but thankfully they were minor and I managed to finagle them. As my Stitchy Guru Mother always says, "The vast majority of crafting is knowing how to fix mistakes!" So very true :)


Since it's time to go, I'll show you my back ;) But only if you can find it, LOL!

If there's a question you'd like to have answered in the tutorial, feel free to ask!

19 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh, it turned out so well! ...and by the deadline :-) I love the backing fabric too.

Aurelia Eglantine said...

Thanks very much Lisa, it's funny - the fabric wasn't really what I had in mind when I bought it, but it's grown on me a lot - and a good thing too because I accidentally bought a whole meter instead of a half! :)

Anonymous said...

Hello

A beautiful bookmark, so prettily finished too with that lovely fabric.
I would love to stitch one of these.
Happ weekend (:

The Knitting Cross Stitcher said...

beautifully finished . your book mark is so pretty.

Aurelia Eglantine said...

Meggie: Thank you! I hope you will try a bookmark of your own :) It's a practical way to finish off small bits of stitching! P.S. Did you mean that you would like the pattern? If so please e-mail me ;)

Lesley: Thank you so much :) I'm very happy you like it!

Cloud CouCou said...

Lovely to see the bookmark finished, it looks beautiful..such a pretty design.

Aurelia Eglantine said...

Thank you so much for your lovely comment!

Meari said...

Very pretty, although I'd skip the padding. I like thin bookmarks :) Congrats on your finish!

Melissa said...

Great job on your bookmark!

Karen said...

Your bookmark turned out beautifully and so perfectly finished!

Unknown said...

that's beautiful, I love the colours and the finishing :)

Aurelia Eglantine said...

Wow, thank you all so very much for the lovely comments!

Meari: I normally like thin bookmarks too, but thought I'd try something a little different :) Next time I'll try one layer, LOL!

Melissa: Thank you :)

Karen: Aw, that is such a high compliment coming from you! You do such lovely finishing work :) This totally made my day!

Flossy: I'm so happy to see you back! I've missed you :) Thanks very much for your kind words!

Unknown said...

I've missed you too! stitchy bug has been off and on for some time but think it's back to stay for a little while :)

Karen said...

It turned out great! I like the padding and wish I had done that with mine. Congrats on finishing it within the deadline.

Aurelia Eglantine said...

Flossy: YAY! I'm so very glad to hear that :) It's awful when your stitchy mojo goes AWOL for a while!!!

Karen: Thank you muchly!!! The grass must indeed always look greener from the other side, LOL, because I look at yours and wish *I* had done *that* ;) Your writing about Stitchy Goals lately has really inspired me to try and meet mine own too! It's a small thing, but it made me happy :)

Yvonne said...

Your bookmark looks very nice and the backing matches perfect.

I began to stitch with your bright colors, they look good, is why I fell for it to stitch.

Aurelia Eglantine said...

Thank you so very much Yvonne! I'm happy that you've chosen to stitch the original colourway too :)

CrazyStitcher said...

The finished bookmark looks gorgeous! I can't get over the backing fabric and how well it goes with the colours used in the Spring Garden design; such a good match.

Well done you! :-)

Aurelia Eglantine said...

Thanks so much CS!!! I'm very happy you like it too :) I was lucky with the fabric, I had something entirely different in mind and bought it rather sulkily as the best thing I could find to match - but I've really grown to love it, and I like the vintage look it gives my bookmark :)